Cr. Hr. 03
1. SEPARATION AND ISOLATION OF PLANT CONSTITUTIONS: An introduction to chromatography and chromatographic techniques e.g. Adsorption Chromatography and Partition Chromatography.
2. CARBOHYDRATES: Introduction of carbohydrate.
(a) Sucrose and Sucrose containing drugs: Sucrose, Dextrose, Liquid glucose, Fructose, Lactose, Xylose, Caramel, Honey, Starch, Inulin, Dextrine etc.
(b) Cellulose and Cellulose Derivatives: Purified cotton, Powdered cellulose, Microcrystalline cellulose, Methyl cellulose, Sodium Carboxy-methyl cellulose.
(c) Gums and Mucilages: Tragacenth, Acacia, Sodium Alginate, Agar, Pectin.
3. GLYCOSIDES: Introduction, classification, chemistry and medicinal uses of:
(a) Cardioactive glycosides: Digitalis, Strophanthus and white squill.
(b) Anthroquinone glycosides: Cascara, Aloe, Rhubarb, Cochineal and Senna.
(c) Saponin glycosides: Glycyrrhiza, Sarsaparilla.
(d) Cyanophore glycosides: Wild cherry.
(e) Isothiocyanate glycosides: Black Mustard.
(f) Lactone glycosides: Cantharide.
(g) Aldehyde glycosides: Vanilla.
(h) Miscellaneous glycosides: Gentian,. Quassia, Dioscorea.
4. TANNINS: Introduction, classification, properties and chemical identity tests of Tannins and Tannin containing compounds. Detailed study of Hammamelis, Catechu and Nut Galls.
5. LIPIDS: Introduction. Detailed study of:
(a) Fixed Oils: Castor oil, cotton seed oil, olive oil, peanut oil, sun flower oil, corn oil, coconut oil, Almond oil, Linseed oil, Mustard oil, Sesame oil and soybean oil.
(b) Fats and Related Compounds: Theobroma oil and Lenolin.
(c) Waxes: Bees wax, carnauba wax, spermaceti and Jojoba oil.
Cr. Hr. 01
NOTE:- Practicals of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Extraction of the active constituents of crude drugs and chemical tests for their identification.
1. V E Tyler, L R Brady and J E Robbers, Pharmacognosy, 9th Ed.,
2. G E Trease and W C Evans, Pharmacognosy, W B Saunders, Philadelphia, Toronto,
3. K Usmanghani, Topics in Pharmacognosy, University Grants Commission .
4. T E Wellis, Text book of Pharmacognosy, CBS Publishers & Distributors
5. Varro E Taylor, Pharmacognosy, Lee Febiger Philadelphia, 9th Ed.
6. Mohammad Ali, Introduction to Pharmacognosy, CBS Publishers & Distributors,
7. K Usmanghani, Chemical Pharmacognosy, University Grants Commission,
8. Youngkin H W, Text Book of Pharmacognosy. The Blakiston Co. Toronto, 6th Ed.,