Cr. Hr. 03
1. ALLERGENS AND ALLERGENIC PREPARATION: Introduction, case history, skin test, treatment off allergy, inhalant, ingestant, injectant, contactant, infectant and infestant allergens. Mechanism of allergy.
2. ENZYMES: Enzymes obtained from plant source. (Phytoenzymes). Papain Bromelain and Malt Extract. Enzymes obtained from Animal source. Rennin pepsin, Pancreatin and Pancrealipase.
3. POISONOUS PLANTS: General introduction of poisonous plants with special reference to Pakistan.
4. PESTICIDES: Introduction. Methods of controlling pests with special reference to natural methods.
Cr. Hr. 01
NOTE:- Practicals of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Microscopic examination of powders and sections of plant drugs. A Study Tour will be an integral part of the syllabus and will be arranged at the end of the session for collection of medicinal plants from various hilly areas of the country.
1. V E Tyler, L R Brady and J E Robbers, Pharmacognosy, 9th Ed., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1988.
2. G E Trease and W C Evans, Pharmacognosy, W B Saunders, Philadelphia, Toronto, 2002.
3. K Usmanghani, Topics in Pharmacognosy, University Grants Commission Monograph Series, Islamabad, pp74, 1985.
4. T E Wellis, Text book of Pharmacognosy, CBS Publishers & Distributors, New Delhi, 1986.
5. Varro E Taylor, Pharmacognosy, Lee Febiger Philadelphia, 9th Ed.
6. Mohammad Ali, Introduction to Pharmacognosy, CBS Publishers & Distributors, New Delhi, 1986.
7. K Usmanghani, Chemical Pharmacognosy, University Grants Commission, Islamabad, 1985.
8. Youngkin H W, Text Book of Pharmacognosy, The Blakiston Co, Toronto, 6th Ed., 1948.