Cr. Hr. 03
Note:- The topics will be taught with special reference to their Pharmaceutical Applications.
1. GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY: Historical Introduction, Scope of Microbiology with special reference to Pharmaceutical Sciences. Nomenclature and classification of Micro-organisms.
The Bacteria: General and cellular Morphology, structure and function. Classification of Bacteria. Growth curve, growth factors and growth characteristics. Nutrition, Requirements and Nutrition factors affecting growth. Culture Media, Bacterial cultures and staining Methods. The Viruses: Introduction, Classification (and detail of at least one species from every group), cultivation, and replication.
3. THE FUNGI/YEAST/MOLDS.
4. THE PROTOZOA.
5. The NORMAL FLORA: Microbiology of air, water and soil (General introduction and normal inhibitants of air, water, and soil).
Cr. Hr. 03
NOTE:- Practicals of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Preparation of general and selective media and culturing of micro-organisms. Total and viable counts of microorganism. Morphological and selective biochemical characteriz-ation of some specimen. Staining of Bacteria: Gram method, Acid fast, Giemasas staining, Capsule staining, Flagella staining and Spore staining. Microbiological analysis of air, water and soil.
1. Jawetiz, Medical Microbiology and Immunology, 5th Ed., Churchill Livingstone, London, 1998.
2. W B Hugo & A D Russell, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Black Well Science Ltd, London, 6th Ed., 1998.
3. Lippincot. Microbiology by Lipponcott. William & Willkin, USA, 2001.
4. Alcamo. Introduction to Microbiology. John Bartlett Publishers, 6th Ed., 2003.
5. Collin and Lynes, Microbiological Methods, Vutterworth Heineman, Oxford, 1995.
6. M Mekallee, Microbiology: Essentials and Application, McGraw-Hill Inc, 2nd Ed.
7. Singleton and Sainsbury, Dictionary of Microbiology and Molecular biology, John Willey & Sons, New York, 2000.
8. Pelczar, Microbiology, McGraw-Hill Inc, 1996.
9. Prescott, Harley, Microbiology, 2nd Ed., Klein Wm C Brown Publishers, 2001.