PHARMACOLOGY and; THERAPEUTICS-II (General-II)
Cr. Hr. 03
1. AUTACOIDS AND THEIR ANTAGONISTS:
Histamine and Antihistamines, Serotonin and Serotonin Antagonists and Other Autocoids
2. DRUGS ACTING ON RESPIRATORY SYSTEM:
(a) Drugs used for cough (Antitussives, Expectorants and Mucolytic Agents).
(b) Drug treatment of Bronchial Asthma (Bronchodilators, Cromoglycate, Nedocromil, Cortecosteroids & other Anti-inflammatory drugs and Muscarinic receptor antagonists)
3. DRUGS ACTING ON CARDIO-VESCULAR SYSTEM:
(a) Angina pectoris and its drug treatment.
(b) Congestive heart failure & its treatment.
(c) Antiarrhythmic drugs.
(d) Agents used in Hyperlipidemia.
(e) Coagulants and Anticoagulants.
4. DRUGS ACTING ON GENITOURINARY SYSTEM:
Oxytoxic drugs, Ergot alkaloids and uterine relaxants.
5. ANTI-ANAEMIC DRUGS.
1. Only an introduction will be given of the banned and obsolete drug products.
2. While dealing with Pharmacology stress should be laid to the group actions of related drugs and only important differences should be discussed of the individual drugs placed in same group.
3. Newly introducted drugs should be included in the syllabus while drugs with no clinical and therapeutic values ought to be excluded from syllabus at any time.
4. The prototype drugs in each group from the latest edition of the recommended books.
PHARMACOLOGY & THERAPEUTICS-II (General-II)
Cr. Hr. 01
NOTE:- Practicals of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. To demonstate the effects of vasconstrictor drugs on Frog’s blood vessels. To demonstrate the effects of stimulant drugs on Rabbit’s intestine (Acetyl choline, Barium chloride). To demonstrate the effects of depressant drugs on Rabbit’s intestine (Atropine). To differentiate the effects of an unknown drug on Rabbit’s intestine and identify the (unknown) drug. To study the effects of Adrenaline on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Homatropine on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Pilocarpine on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Local Anaesthetic drug (e.g. Cocaine) on Rabbit’s Eyes. To identify the unknown drug & differentiate its effects on Rabbit’s Eyes. (Note: A minimum of 10 practicals will be conducted)
Recommended Books (Pharmacology)
1. Goodman Gillman, Pharmacological basis of therapeutics. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1996.
2. Winguard and Brody, Human Pharmacology, Mosby Year Book, Boston, 1991.
3. James M Ritter and Lionel De Levis, A Text book of Clinical Pharmacology, Oxford University Press, New York, 1995
4. R S Satorkar and S D Bhandarkar, Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics, Popular Prakashan, Bomby, 1993.
5. J D Tripathy, Essential of Medical Pharmacology, Japees Brother, New Delhi, 4th Ed., 2000.
6. D R Laurance, Clinical Pharmacology, ELBS, London, 6th Ed., 1987.
7. Katzung B G, Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, McGraw-Hill Medical Publishers, New York, 8th Ed., 2001.
8. Lipponcott, Pharmacology, Lippincot William & Willkin, USA, 2001
9. Manuchair Edabi, Pharmacology, Little Brown & Company, London, 1993
10. Prof Dr A Qayum, Fundamentals of Experimental Pharmacology.
11. Bertram G K, Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Paramount Publishing Business & Professional Group, USA, 6th Ed., 1995
12. William F Ganong, W F, Review of Medical physiology, Prentice Hall International Inc, New Jersey.